Friday, January 8, 2010

and you are one of them.



I finally finished Thirteen Reasons Why last night. I'm so glad I read this book. & Of course, thank you to my sister who sent over the book. :) I've been wanting to read this book since I stumble it in a book-review blog. I was interested in the summary. The book tells the story of Hannah Baker who died, took her own life actually. It explains the thirteen reason why she decided her life should end.

She tells this reasons using tapes and we're reading through Clay's point of view. It's like a duo narrative writing. He's one of the reason she died, sort of. I started reading the book, scared. Haha, yes, I was actually scared cause the story itself sounds scary and haunting. But I brought myself to flip the book over, page by page. No, the writing made me turn the pages. To be honest, I liked the book. No, I love the book. I'm actually listening to those 'tapes' from youtube. Just like how I imagined it to be.

What I like about this strong book by Jay Asher is that it's well written. It's painfully honest, real, I think. This book teaches you something, show you something, teach you the meaning of consequences. It will make you realise that a small thing to you may lead to a painful memory to others. What I also like about this book is that, even though we know the clear ending to the story, Jay Asher was able to keep us reading, wondering, wanting to know; how, why, what the reasons were. And considering this is his debut novel, I think he did amazing. In words, this book is hauntingly beautiful and will always stay in the readers mind for a very long time.

till then

- w a i

No comments:

Post a Comment